New Jersey Drug Crimes Lawyers
Strong Defenses for Clients in New Jersey & New York
Drug crime charges are common in the courts in New Jersey, New York, and throughout the nation. The typical charges related to illegal drugs is drug possession. Even simple possession of a controlled substance can lead to lengthy prison sentences, heavy fines, probation, and a future with a criminal record. These are crimes that can be charged at both the state and federal level and call for immediate and dedicated legal representation.
An experienced and diligent criminal defense lawyer can ensure that your legal rights are protected from the onset of your case, that you are not taken advantage of by law enforcement or prosecutors, that you receive fair treatment throughout the duration, and the strong advocacy you need aimed at getting the best result. At Blanch Legal Firm, you will find a legal team with the experience, legal skills, and commitment necessary that can make all the difference in whether your case is dismissed, charges or sentencing are reduced, whether you are acquitted, or convicted in court.
New Jersey Drug Schedules
Drug crimes involve various activities related to those narcotics and substances listed on New Jersey’s Schedule of Controlled Substances. These are classified according to their potential for abuse from Schedule 1 (the most addictive and potentially abusive) down to Schedule V. When facing a drug crime, your charges will therefore depend on which Schedule the drugs fall under and what activities you were engaged in. Common controlled substances include marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, synthetic marijuana, methamphetamine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, Valium, Adderall, fentanyl, Xanax, and more.
Types of Drug Offenses in New Jersey
Drug crimes in New Jersey can include but are not limited to:
- Drug possession, such as for marijuana, cocaine, heroin, Ecstasy, morphine, or others
- Possession of drug paraphernalia, such as crack pipes, bongs, scales, etc.
- Possession with intent to distribute
- Drug distribution
- Distribution, manufacturing, or selling drugs near a public park or housing facility
- Manufacturing drugs, such as in methamphetamine labs
- Distribution or possession of drugs in a school zone
- Prescription drug crimes, fraud, or theft
- Drug trafficking
- Conspiracy to possess and conspiracy to distribute illegal drugs
What are the Penalties for Drug Possession?
The various crimes all carry different penalties of jail or prison time and fines. Furthermore, in any drug crime, you may face multiple charges depending on the seriousness of the offense and the circumstances in which it took place.
Examples of penalties include the following:
- Possession of more than six ounces of marijuana is punishable by up to one and one-half years in jail and/or a fine of up to $25,000
- Simple possession of cocaine is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $75,000
- Possession of one half up to five ounces of methamphetamine is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $150,000
- Possession of five or more ounces of heroin is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $500,000
How Our New Jersey Drug Crime Attorneys Can Help
Law enforcement and prosecutors may try to convince you that your case will automatically lead to a conviction. That is not true. Many reasons and circumstances exist that can get cases dismissed, charges reduced, or verdicts of not guilty found. At Blanch Legal Firm, we will begin investigating your case to find evidence that can derail the prosecution’s case, such as illegal searches and seizure, lack of probable cause, other police procedural errors, and more. We will leave no stone unturned in making the prosecution’s job an extremely difficult one. Our work can often lead to cases being thrown out even before charges have been filed which is why you should contact us during a police investigation.
We understand what you are up against in any type of drug charge and you can depend on our legal skills, intensive knowledge, and extensive experience in building a defense strategy geared towards a favorable result.
“I’m very satisfied and will definitely recommend him. Outstanding work ethic.”- Former Client
“Mario has represented me numerous times in complex real estate transactions and has always come up with a solution to meet my needs. He’s very knowledgeable and thorough in his process.”- Former Client
“He was able to get me Pretrial Intervention in Hudson County and after one year I will not have a criminal record.”- Former Client